Siouxcountry.com

---
Old 10-13-2011, 06:38 PM
CBBF Figure Competitor

Default Post-Contest Checkin

I'm just wondering how some of you competitors are doing post contest. Lots of women get the blues, gain weight, etc., so if you need to vent or chat, that's what this sub-forum is for.

I came across something I wrote awhile back about the stage experience:
You've got to KNOW, before you even weigh in or step on stage, that you are bringing your best, satisfied with the integrity of your journey THUS FAR.
A show is not the END, it's just another stepping stone on the path.

It's crucial if you want to grow from the experience to accept the judges' decisions for what they are, an external assessment of who has "the look" at a very precise moment in time. Judges decisions have NOTHING to do with who worked the hardest, who suffered the most, who is the most "together" on game day. It's just feedback and subjective opinion. Sometimes it's favorable to you, sometimes it's favorable to someone else. Put too much stock into it, and you risk horrible post-contest blues and depression, even if you win the damn trophy!

Sure it's easier said than done. But life is so much better when it's about the journey, that everyday pounding of pavement, rather than about some fleeting moment of victory on stage. Then there are no failures, only experiences.

I've already won or lost the day before the show. I know what I've done to get there, and the rest is icing. I haven't been first place at every show I've competed at, but I've never lost.
I haven't competed since June of 2010. I may never step on stage again. But the above still rings true for me, in life, and in each undertaking, whether it's with respect to a difficult project at work or the upcoming holiday season.

I hope everyone is living la dolce vita, day-by-day and moment-by-moment. And if you're not, you're not alone.

Remember: your value is immeasurable, and isn't tied to a hardbody, a number, and a sparkly suit.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Lori Mork - TEAM ENERGY - Competition Prep Coach

I love this thread Crystol --- great idea!!

I have been retired from competing for 2.5 years.....and it took me THAT LONG to be NORMAL again!

I finally don't obsess about food, count calories and have that constant goal of always being 5 lbs from stage weight.

I am surrounded by figure and bikini hotties daily in my training sessions, but I don't try to be a competitor anymore!!! this is all new for me!! I struggled for years to be at peace with my "curves" and enjoy LIFE and FOOD!!!

Sure, I sit about 10 lbs from stage weight, and I AM OKAY WITH THAT!!!!

I don't do obsessive amounts of cardio (none actually)... I am allowed nut butters on my plan without fear of binging!, and I ENJOY MY TRAINING!!!

I don't curse my skinny jeans anymore (you know, the size 27 jeans that ONLY FIT ON COMPETITION WEEK!). I ACCEPT THINGS AS THEY ARE!

BALANCE, I have found BALANCE and almost a PEACEFUL FEELING!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 PM
CBBF Figure Competitor

LOL at the jeans! Who hasn't done that?

Lori, you're inspiring. Plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old 10-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Lori Mork - TEAM ENERGY - Competition Prep Coach

Right back at ya babe!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Jennifer

I literally LOL when I read the size 27 jeans remark! I too have a pair of those that ONLY FIT the week of my show. They have since been retired to the bottom drawer in hopes of being able to fit in them again, inspiring me to compete again.

I am one of those "post show funk/blues" girls. My show was in May and I took some time off and will be returning back to the gym Nov. 1. The reflection is painful (even tho my precious husband says otherwise).

Looking for that balance...

I hated every minute of training; but I thought DON'T QUIT suffer NOW and live the rest of your life as a champion
~Mhammad Ali
Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 PM
CBBF Figure Competitor

Love those men who love so deep and true, eh? I've got me a gem like that, too...

You're not your reflection, but to deny our reflections have an impact is silly. Just try to be unconditionally loving of yourself and take it a day at a time. Treat those jeans like a photo or ticket stub: nice memento, nothing more.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 AM
CBBF Figure Competitor

Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM
NPC Figure Competitor - Lisa

Doing really well actually but I do have another show in 16 weeks. But the past 2 weeks have been great. I do put weight on quick so I have to watch everything. But I am eating clean having a " normal " life got in a few fun nights ie: having people over .. actually having the burger at the bar instead of drinking water and explaining why I wasn't partaking hahaha

I think the emotional personal issues no $$$ divorce ( its over in my journal ) have settlle down at least in my head ..

It is what it is as they say ... Just one day at a time.

It is monday and I am 16 weeks away from Masters and feeling at peace with mybody

Long chat with Jack helped alot. I know what I can and can not do and it is up to me to behave and work on my weak points.

xoxo

Hydrolyze Ultra sponsored Athletic

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=9480

Old 04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
CBBF Figure Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelisa
Doing really well actually but I do have another show in 16 weeks. But the past 2 weeks have been great. I do put weight on quick so I have to watch everything. But I am eating clean having a " normal " life got in a few fun nights ie: having people over .. actually having the burger at the bar instead of drinking water and explaining why I wasn't partaking hahaha

I think the emotional personal issues no $$$ divorce ( its over in my journal ) have settlle down at least in my head ..

It is what it is as they say ... Just one day at a time.

It is monday and I am 16 weeks away from Masters and feeling at peace with mybody

Long chat with Jack helped alot. I know what I can and can not do and it is up to me to behave and work on my weak points.

xoxo
Thanks, babe. You're in my thoughts often, as we share a few experiences along with our seasoned years.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Lisa

I am sure we do !

Hydrolyze Ultra sponsored Athletic

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=9480

Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Bodybuilder - Andrea

I am unsure where to put this, but this board makes me comfortable enough to express myself.

I admit I am not as seasoned as everyone else but I want to take these lessons all put out there and try to help myself get better....

I am an amateur, have done 2 shows recently as 2 weeks ago, I had plans to compete again however I am military and I have a husband who doesnt care for this too much. So I have decided to let it go however it appears easier said then done, I am dealing with anxiety...granted its a short time on but I have never felt this way and I am trying to cope...

I feel like not many if very little understand me, I want to try to get to the normal, just living, I love competiting but I want to be able to move past or at least switch if I ever decide to do it again..

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you all for listening.

Check my BodySpace on BB.Com

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/affitshorty/

Like my FB "lovers of the fitness lifestyle"
Old 06-19-2013, 03:48 PM
CBBF Figure Competitor

Hi Drea,

I understand where you're coming from and know you have access to a great coach. It's VERY tough to switch gears from focusing on competing with all of the discipline required to something less structured, but if you do it little by little, you'll get back to normal eventually.

You can keep training and keep eating healthy. Just don't beat yourself up for relaxing things a bit. In fact, you SHOULD relax things a bit. Focus on those things you neglected while prepping and enjoy them. Be in the moment. Look into your hubby's eyes over a nice dinner and really see him. Lose yourself in a good book or a good movie. Keep journalling (here or privately).

As far as the anxiety goes, make sure you're eating enough, especially at bed time. If you took any fat burners, I assume you've stopped them. However, it can take awhile for your body to stop feeling the effects. Minimize your consumption of caffeine if you use it and try chamomile tea before bed. If you don't meditate, now is a great time to start. I use these three mediations pretty regularly, and also with my daughter who gets a little anxious at night on occasion when she's thinking too much:

http://www.amazon.com/Meditations-Re.../dp/0978906799

Be patient. You are going to be fine.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Briana

46 days post show and counting...
and that was it for the foreseeable future. I am just NOW getting back to a place where I love training just because and not because I have a target on the calendar. I am not training to make "improvements" that were "suggested" to me by judges. Not trying to maintain a body that lasted all of 48 hours, LOL. Some days I don't make it to the gym and I am learning not to beat myself up about it. Somedays I have 2 decadent meals in a row! Some days I feel like I look great some days not. But I am not letting it consume me as much as I once did. I am sure there will be more ups and downs emotionally and physically so I try to take them as they come and just.keep.moving.
Oh and I have that same pair of jeans (size 26) already laundered, folded and back in my bottom drawer.