Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini News & chat about Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:55 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano

Default Affirmations & Visualization: Creating Your Reality

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and through my talks with my friend Dusty Hanshaw and the love of my life Chase am realizing once again just how important our thoughts our in achieving goals and happiness in general.

I am realizing once again just how important the mind is when it comes to achieving ours goals. Visualizing the outcome and saying affirmations lets you mind believe and therefore achieve your goals.
Back in 1995 when I first began my weight loss journey I used affirmations. I am now just realizing how important that was.

http://suzannegermano.blogspot.com/2...-creating.html

Do you visualize or use affirmations? What are yours?

Also if you have read books on the subject which did you like?

Last edited by Suzanne : 11-11-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:42 AM
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano

No one uses visualization or affirmations in achieving goals?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:02 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Stacy Reese

Hey Suz! I've just started to use affirmations and positive thinking in a very deliberate way just recently. I'm really hard on myself not only with progress, or lack thereof, in the gym but with life in general. I now realize that it's the way I'm THINKING that's holding me back from truly reaching the goals that I have set for myself. So basically, I'm RETRAINING my brain to function in a different way. Your subconscious is strictly impartial. It doesn't discriminate. In your subconscious, whatever thoughts you "let in" and allow to dwell there you will believe to be true. Now, I'm trying to make a conscious effort to take control over my CONSCIOUS mental dialogue and put positive thought inside my brain so that I can focus on what I want to achieve instead of things I want to avoid. It's not easy either! I've been smack talking myself for quite some time!!!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Nichole

I'm a lot like Stacy, but it's not just in regards to the gym or diet. I'm quite critical of myself, and certainly hold myself to a much higher standard than I would anyone else.

I do use affirmations... Much of the time when lifting I'm using visualization to "see" what I want the end result to be. I tie it right in with that mind muscle connection. When I'm doing cardio, I'm off in lala land daydreaming about the future, visualizing my body getting in better shape at the fat burning. I talk trash to myself in my head like and almost imagine that there is someone standing behind me screaming at me to push a little harder. It seems quite silly to me, but it works. I try to tell myself that I can do it.

I haven't read any books on the subject. I'm not so good at actually finishing those kind of books.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs

Twitter: BeccaStaggs

I need to start using affirmations. I'm a 'words of affirmations' person but I don't do it for myself enough.

Nichole, nice avi update!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:33 PM
IFBB Pro - Michelle Beck

I read a lot of books, watch DVD and listen to audio books on the law of attraction and the power of positive thinking. I also use positive affirmations and visualization techniques through meditation and before I go to sleep. Here are some of the authors I like:

Neville Goddard (Just Google him, he has a lot of audio and text you can download for free)

Abraham Hicks (They have a lot of good DVD's and audio recordings that I buy from their website. They speak about the law of attraction-"That which is liken to itself is drawn.")

Louise Hay (She has a lot of good books and she uses affirmations A LOT. That is where I have gotten mine from and she speaks mostly about love and forgiveness of yourself. She uses affirmations to help cure disease and has done it for herself).

Joel Osteen (He speaks more from a spiritual side of things, but he focuses on the power of positive thinking and being happy.)

Dr. Wayne Dyer (He has a lot of great books, "Excuses Be Gone" or "The Power of Intention" and he has a great movie I recommend anyone watch it is called "The Shift." He focus on the power of your thoughts and the cause and effect of the way we think and what we believe in.)

Wallace Wattles (He has the books the "The Science of Getting Rich" and "The Science of Success")

All of the authors are really good, it just depends on how you receive the message. I have listened to a numerous amount of books, authors, etc that all focus on the power of positive thinking and the law of attraction. The funny thing is the message of all of these authors in the end is the same, but I have realized some people hear it better or understand the message from one author over another even though they are saying the same thing. I hope this helps.
michelle.ivette.beck@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...00001108014048
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/michellebeck/

“Do or do not...there is no try.”-Yoda
Old 11-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Nichole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Staggs View Post
I need to start using affirmations. I'm a 'words of affirmations' person but I don't do it for myself enough.

Nichole, nice avi update!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Beck View Post
I read a lot of books, watch DVD and listen to audio books on the law of attraction and the power of positive thinking. I also use positive affirmations and visualization techniques through meditation and before I go to sleep. Here are some of the authors I like:
I need to do this! What a great way to have the positive energy on your mind while you recharge for the next day. I'd imagine you're more likely to wake up in a positive mind frame, and maybe even sleep better?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 PM

As a young girl my dreams & fantasies created the adventures I later went on to have as I reached adulthood.

Now that I am 52 I am spending more time working with positive affirmations again & keeping negative thinking from bringing me down. I just started reading books on these types of topics. Right now I am reading "The Healing Code"

So I am putting a lot more energy into the power of my mind lately.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Ashley

I haven't necessarily read books specifically for it but my honours degree is in psychology and I was a counsellor for years (Before I was a PT)... For me it is turning negative self talk into positive self talk. I am very critical of myself and can't accept less than perfect.... Even in grade 8 teachers were saying I needed to lighten up on my self!!! For me I have to be aware of the "I can't" thoughts and turn them into positives... It has been working well so far but I definitely have hard days.... Mostly when I am carb deprived and trying to convince my boyfriend that I will literally die if I don't have pizza
Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Ashley

Oh, and when I worked with teen girls we had them watch The Secret and we went to workshops on the power of positive thoughts... I think The Secret takes it a bit far but I definitely believe in the power of positive thinking and how that shapes our reality.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:34 PM
CBBF Figure Competitor

Great, relevant stuff about visualization and goal setting in this new video (it's an Abel/Weiss video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXpvT6mS0uo

Important point: set goals that are within your sphere of control to achieve. You have NO control over whether or not you win a judged event or attain a pro card.