Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Chat & Introduction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chat & Introduction We chat about everything, and anything. Stop on in and introduce yourself.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Sarah

Default If I own a gun, does that make me a sniper?

I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm getting back into following along and I sure do miss all of the awesome people on here!

Anyway, I recently had the title of this thread as my Facebook status and really, just out of curiousity I was wondering what people's input on this particular subject is.

It can be applied to any profession really, but as an example I'll use mine and many others' on this site... fitness! I've invested a lot into developing as a professional in fitness and more and more I'm seeing pages pop up on Facebook.... "Beachbody with 'insert name'", "Shape Up with '215 lb woman". Basically, people who have lost weight and are trying to make a name for themselves through social media by providing fitness information.

I did come across one page that was a girl writing about her journey and posting pictures, which was cool because it was a way for her to be accountable, but not posing as an expert.

Just making conversation, but what do you all think? I could go on and on, but it is a pet peeve of mine. I'm a graphic designer because I have Corel Draw on my computer, a photographer because I own a camera, a chef because I own a cookbook You get the point.

Follow my journey on Facebook... CLICK HERE
Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 PM
CBBF Figure Competitor

If I have a pro card, does that make me a Coach with the expertise, knowledge, and experience to be prepping others for the stage or guiding people in their fitness goals? I own a Pitbull. Does that make me a dog whisperer? I read shit in magazines and on the Internet. Does that make me a Ph.D in bro science? Oh wait... That DOES make me a Ph.D in BS.

Yup. I feel ya on this one, Sarah.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old 11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Alexandra

Totally agree with you guys on this. I have had several people (locally)who ask me to either train them, help them with a diet, and possibly get them ready for a show. I just do not feel comfortable doing that, regardless of the fact that I have been competing for several years and have learned a good bit from past/current trainers. By no means do I consider myself an expert or truly qualified to offer training/nutritional advice.

“Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.” ― Brené Brown
Old 11-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Trainer - Erik Ledin

I've observed this a lot too.
http://leanbodiesfitness.com

LBC Facebook Page
Old 11-27-2011, 06:04 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstoa View Post
Totally agree with you guys on this. I have had several people (locally)who ask me to either train them, help them with a diet, and possibly get them ready for a show. I just do not feel comfortable doing that, regardless of the fact that I have been competing for several years and have learned a good bit from past/current trainers. By no means do I consider myself an expert or truly qualified to offer training/nutritional advice.
I totally agree! I have a good grasp on training people, but as far as understanding other people's bodies and how they respond to certain diets and foods... that I don't get!

Erik, I've noticed a lot of girls will sign on with a coach and suddenly they are coaching other's themselves... I wonder where they are getting their diet information that they share with their clients... hmmmmm.

Follow my journey on Facebook... CLICK HERE
Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Trainer - Erik Ledin

Quote:
Originally Posted by snf_05 View Post
Erik, I've noticed a lot of girls will sign on with a coach and suddenly they are coaching other's themselves... I wonder where they are getting their diet information that they share with their clients... hmmmmm.
Funny you say that, I have multiple former clients who started businesses after working with me. Provided they're truly qualified, hey, it's all good. Can't really say that's always the case though. But, I guess you have to start somewhere.
http://leanbodiesfitness.com

LBC Facebook Page
Old 11-27-2011, 09:51 PM
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs

Twitter: BeccaStaggs

I think this is pretty common place...and yeah it happens in all industries. Everyone had to start somewhere. Some people definitely jump the gun, though.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:16 AM
NPC Figure Competitor - Lisa

I am a personal trainer and I have had a couple girls wanting to compete ask me to " help " with diet and all .

I tell them I HAVE a trainer and here is his name and number I am not a nutritionist. I can train, teach proper form , suggest healthier options. and I LOVE helping the everyday MOM and chica some dudes . With time and experience I will get better but I do not see myself training figure chicks

I love when they say just give me your diet !!! Seriously besides we are all different . Fork over the cash and hire a trainer !!!

Hydrolyze Ultra sponsored Athletic

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=9480

Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Alexandra

I definitely do not mind helping people out at the gym if they ask about form, how to use a piece of gym equipment, or inquire about an exercise I am doing. That would be the extent of it, and I never give unsolicited advice. I have had to bite my lip numerous times when it comes to form.

“Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.” ― Brené Brown
Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 AM
Administrator
Jason

Facebook: siouxcountryfb
Twitter: siouxcountry
Instagram: siouxcountry

I saw this guy http://www.amazon.com/This-Best-You-Way/dp/057809021X/ spamming his book on another forum, and thought of this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	414kb3ffmgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	61372  

Got a Smartphone? Download Forum Runner to read & post from your phone!