Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini News & chat about Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Jason

Facebook: siouxcountryfb
Twitter: siouxcountry
Instagram: siouxcountry
Default I'm surprised someone does't get hurt

Quote:
Taken from an event with veteran CrossFit athletes. Hitting axle clean and jerks. Supervised by Strongman Certified Coaches. Axle weight is about 10-15lbs. This lift is not a standard Clean and Jerk.

Got a Smartphone? Download Forum Runner to read & post from your phone!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:01 PM
CBBF Bikini Competitor - Lauren Fazio
AMAZEBALLS!

Twitter: LaurenFazio
Instagram: laurenlfazio

OMG
I could barely watch this video. DISGUSTING
Old 12-03-2011, 04:10 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Dawn

Someone is going to get seriously hurt.

I will live my life one day at a time, doing my very best today in preparation to be better tomorrow.

Journaling Here:
http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=14671
Old 12-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Beth

I posted this on my FB page 2 days ago. It started quite the discussion. Apparently the bar they're using is about 2 inches in diameter, which is why they're using the mixed grip. And the plates are bumper plates, so they're not lifting as heavy as it appears. The lift is a strongman lift, not a true olympic clean and jerk. Regardless, this shit is ridiculous, and these ppl are going to get hurt. The coaches aren't spotting ppl nor are they encouraging proper form. "fast hips" - WTF does that even mean? The ppl care more about PRs than they do form. Never a good idea. I like Erin Stern's vids, because she does the olympic stuff correctly.

My CrossFit journal, stop on by!
http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=25226
Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Administrator
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by epolis View Post
I posted this on my FB page 2 days ago. It started quite the discussion. Apparently the bar they're using is about 2 inches in diameter, which is why they're using the mixed grip. And the plates are bumper plates, so they're not lifting as heavy as it appears. The lift is a strongman lift, not a true olympic clean and jerk. Regardless, this shit is ridiculous, and these ppl are going to get hurt. The coaches aren't spotting ppl nor are they encouraging proper form. "fast hips" - WTF does that even mean? The ppl care more about PRs than they do form. Never a good idea. I like Erin Stern's vids, because she does the olympic stuff correctly.
And the best part is that these competitors are "veteran CrossFit athletes" and this contest is supervised by "Strongman Certified Coaches". These coaches are irresponsible, and someone is going to get hurt.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Beth

Part of me questions the validity of this "gym." A lot of crossfit gyms aren't actually sanctioned CF facilities. I think this group of ppl are a bunch of weekend warriors who decided to get together and open a gym. I'm not convinced this is a legit CF place.

I dont do CF, nor do I really agree with it. Having a PR goal just never seems good to me. Who cares how much you can clean and jerk, or how many pullups you can do in a row if your form is shit. When i'm on stage, that shit doesn't matter.

My CrossFit journal, stop on by!
http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=25226

Last edited by epolis : 12-03-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Ashley

Videos like this give crossfit a bad name... Mind you I do not do cross fit (wayyyy too lazy) but Scott does and his form is NEVER sacrificed for speed. His form is much better than many people I know that don't do crossfit. I think it's like anything... The crazy videos get popular and everyone sees them.

But yes, I agree. The people that pretend they are doing crossfit will get hurt... But then again when I used to work in box gyms the majority of people doing any exercise are going to get hurt! lol. I used to cringe watching people try and squat... THankfully now I work at a PT studio!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by epolis View Post
Part of me questions the validity of this "gym." A lot of crossfit gyms aren't actually sanctioned CF facilities. I think this group of ppl are a bunch of weekend warriors who decided to get together and open a gym. I'm not convinced this is a legit CF place.

I dont do CF, nor do I really agree with it. Having a PR goal just never seems good to me. Who cares how much you can clean and jerk, or how many pullups you can do in a row if your form is shit. When i'm on stage, that shit doesn't matter.
Here is the gym and staff... http://www.albanycrossfit.com/staff

Check out the pull ups one of the staff does...

Old 12-03-2011, 06:01 PM
IFBB Pro - Kelly Keiser

The girl on the bench rubbing her knee at 1:30 and again after 2:00 says it all
Old 12-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcountry View Post
Here is the gym and staff... http://www.albanycrossfit.com/staff

Check out the pull ups one of the staff does...

Pretty sure those are butterfly pull ups... I always tell Scott they look like they hurt. haha
Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Administrator
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Briana View Post
Pretty sure those are butterfly pull ups... I always tell Scott they look like they hurt. haha
My shoulders are in pain just watching that video.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Ashley

Quote:
My shoulders are in pain just watching that video.
hahah! Trust me, I always say the same thing! I don't know how that doesn't throw out their back!!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Dawn

I watched twice, I didn't see any pullups.

I will live my life one day at a time, doing my very best today in preparation to be better tomorrow.

Journaling Here:
http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=14671
Old 12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
IFBB Pro - Shawn Hektor

I wanted to scream when I saw the dog walking around the gym in that first video around the 3 minute mark... all it takes is for them to drop one weight on that poor thing.

‎"Just because you get the puppy dog with the biggest feet doesn't mean he'll grow up to be the best hunting dog," -Nick Saban

Twitter: @ShawnCarla
Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Carla

Facebook: cfclovesnc3

I Crossfitted for 18 months before starting to train for a comp. That video gives CF a bad name and the trainers I know would never encourage lifts like that. Crazy.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:57 PM
IFBB Pro - Erin Riley

This is not crossfit, its strongman.... when I did strongman training i remember for the competition lift, the "clean" was not really a clean, but a "get the bar up to pressing position in anyway you can", so i can understand that part.... but it looks like the people in the video (especially the girls) should not be putting up that kind of weight overhead...the technique of the push press looks off.... like they need to decrease the weight and practice dropping under the bar a little more efficiently, if that makes sense.... I remember I used to get mad b/c I couldn't "clean" (aka get the bar up to press position in anyway...) the fat bar that the strongman guys used...even though if i would've been able to get it up to start i could have pressed it easily (apparently the opposite problem these girls are having)... but that was b/c i understood the technique of the press part...

The guys I trained with way back when (you know, from my back in the day videos), were strongman competitors, and one of them now owns a crossfit gym, and they were quite possibly the biggest sticklers for form/mechanics/technique/proper muscles firing that I have ever met...so its not necessarily all crossfit/strongman coaches promoting "get the weight up at all costs"....

Erin Stern was a track athlete as UF (while I was a gymnast there for one year too!! lol)... her lifts are strict olympic lifts as taught to a high level athlete... sure she uses those lifts now in her training, but its clear (by how GOOD she is at them) that she did not learn those recently for her figure training, but has probably been doing them for many years... props to her, as I think she's incredible!

Honestly though IMO, people should know and be able to perform the proper olympic lifting technique before moving on to strongman/crossfit style, where pushing the most weight (or speed or what have you) is most important...
anyways...thats all...
Old 12-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerEyes View Post
This is not crossfit, its strongman.... when I did strongman training i remember for the competition lift, the "clean" was not really a clean, but a "get the bar up to pressing position in anyway you can", so i can understand that part.... but it looks like the people in the video (especially the girls) should not be putting up that kind of weight overhead...the technique of the push press looks off.... like they need to decrease the weight and practice dropping under the bar a little more efficiently, if that makes sense....

The guys I trained with way back when (you know, from my back in the day videos), were strongman competitors, and one of them now owns a crossfit gym, and they were quite possibly the biggest sticklers for form/mechanics/technique/proper muscles firing that I have ever met...so its not necessarily all crossfit/strongman coaches promoting "get the weight up at all costs"....

Erin Stern was a track athlete as UF (while I was a gymnast there for one year too!! lol)... her lifts are strict olympic lifts as taught to a high level athlete... sure she uses those lifts now in her training, but its clear (by how GOOD she is at them) that she did not learn those recently for her figure training, but has probably been doing them for many years... props to her, as I think she's incredible!

Honestly though IMO, people should know and be able to perform the proper olympic lifting technique before moving on to strongman/crossfit style, where pushing the most weight (or speed or what have you) is most important...
Well said
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Kayti

LOVE that comments are disabled on the video. Says a lot.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Photographer - Ana Frias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnCarla View Post
I wanted to scream when I saw the dog walking around the gym in that first video around the 3 minute mark... all it takes is for them to drop one weight on that poor thing.
The dog seems to be limping so who knows what already happened to it

This gym should go into the hall of shame

Facebook

Facebook: Fit, Fun & Delish
Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Industry Expert - Will Brink

Quote:

People do get injured, a lot, but supporters of CF will then blame it on the person doing it.

All my rehab doc friends LOVE CF as their business has gone up sharply since its popularity has grown.

The # 1 Science Based Site for all things fitness, bodybuilding, weight loss, and other topics for the health minded individual!

Personal FaceBook page:

Will Brink | Facebook

The BrinkZone fan page:

BrinkZone | Facebook