Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Training & Nutrition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training & Nutrition Discuss training & nutrition. Off season or prep.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Trainer - Erik Ledin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Dees View Post
I've lost 2 inches off both navel and waist over the last 4 weeks working with Erik.... and all doing less than 90 min total cardio a week. And not starving.
http://leanbodiesfitness.com

LBC Facebook Page
Old 10-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Trainer - Erik Ledin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Great info Erik!!

Just saying thanks again for taking the time out of your busy days to reply to everyones question on here, and in this thread!!
Thanks.

It's been fun.

LBC Facebook Page
Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Vanessa Adams-Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
My PERSONAL opinion is that clenbuterol is overrated (not saying it doesn't work obviously) and that over time EC is better. Of course, not everyone will agree with that.

Effects are short lived. But you can start using compounds like ketotifin (or in the absence of that, an OTC anti-histamine product maybe) that prevent/slow down receptor attenuation/promote receptor upregulation. (there are quite a number of studies supporting this effect of ketotifen - does make you sleep though which likely warrants bed time usage).

Standard dosing has been 2 weeks on/2 weeks off, but with ketotifen you can theoretically take it longer/more consistently without the drop off.

The 2 days on/2 days off you see sometimes is flawed - since clen has a rather long half life.

Not necessary.
Interesting. Have you tried this yourself? This is the input I've received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sldge
Benadryl and keto (regardless if it were injected or not) did not improve clens use. It was a theory from about 7 years ago that never really panned out. Because Clen is so specific the body will down regulate the receptors rapidly, you get the max effect for 28 days and then you start losing effectiveness unless you increase dose which will just make the problem worse.

The best thing to use in between is nothing that would effect those receptors. Go stim free for a few weeks and then you could start again.

SNIP

The use of ketofin is not a new idea, this was a popular theory in late 99 early 00 and it never worked the way it was supposed to. I have injected quite a bit of it along with taking tons of it orally and it does not improve the use of clen.

You need to use the max dose that "you" the user can handle for a very short period of time. Then you get off it to take a break and allow the receptors the chance to upregulate so you can continue to get the max effect out of your stims.

Its not a clean drug, you shake like hell, heart races and there is a real shitty crash of energy. Most people use it because they think it will help improve fatloss by some great amount and the sad truth is it wont. During a 28 day cycle IIRC you get about a 2% increase in metabolism over ECA (which is between 2-5%). As you can see its a small difference that usually only helps the precontest bodybuilder.

I know people are looking for a better replacement or more effective stimulating fatburner over ECA but at the moment there isnt one...and I stress "at the moment".

Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Meechel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenyatta View Post
Congrats to you on dropping the inches!! But, I have got to sayI am very anxious/scared/excited to get started w/ Erik in the spring!! I know I will be his most difficult client yet...not b/c I'm hard headed and want to do things my way...BUT b/c my body just doesn't seem to work/respond as easily w/ just a drop in caloric intake.

Open minded is what I have to be......being closed minded doesn't get you anywhere in life.
Good deal ......have faith! I have watched him for over a year now make some amazing transformations with people who follow his plans.(obviously he has been doing it longer I just happen to "meet" him last September)

Can't wait to meet ya in ATL and Erik too
There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Trainer - Erik Ledin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsness View Post
I've used clen - don't like it. Don't think it's worth it. Think it's overrated.

So, I've never bothered to try to extend it with ketotifen. I was careful to use the word 'theoretically' there though.

Seems to make sense on paper; whether or not it bears out in the real world, I am not in a position to say yes or no with absolute certainty. I know a number of people who have CLAIMED it helped - but anecdotes are anecdotes. I say skip the whole thing entirely.

LBC Facebook Page
Old 10-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Trainer - Erik Ledin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenyatta View Post
But, I have got to sayI am very anxious/scared/excited to get started w/ Erik in the spring!! I know I will be his most difficult client yet...not b/c I'm hard headed and want to do things my way...BUT b/c my body just doesn't seem to work/respond as easily w/ just a drop in caloric intake.

Open minded is what I have to be......being closed minded doesn't get you anywhere in life. [/color]
Just make sure you're doing everything you can to normalize your body in your offseason. Eat enough calories (no deficit), eat enough carbs to maintain thyroid function, don't overdo the offseason cardio, etc.

I think you're going to be fine. But you might need a new hobby with all your extra free time during your prep.

LBC Facebook Page
Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Kathy

Thumbs up

Quote:
If you were dissatisfied with your conditioning at your last show, I think it might make more sense to start your prep nice and early to ensure that you have enough time to get to the end goal you're after.

If you've never been to that specific end point yet - all the more reason to start earlier since it's something you've not yet achieved and you just can't predict how it will go when you're trying to get the last fat off.

And there's no reason you can't train heavy while dieting - you should be, if you're goal is maintaining your hard-earned muscle.

First, didn't you just say 30 minutes per day? That's still 3 1/2 hours of cardio in the offseason - that's hardly not a lot.

Keto during the offseason doesn't make much sense to me - carbs are not your enemy. At least apply some nutrient timing rules and throw your carb intake around periods of heightened insulin sensitivity - AM, around workouts, etc.

Mind you, it depends on your offseason goals.

There's nothing wrong with steak while dieting. Not one bit.
Ok., so let me see if i understand this: If i am looking to do a contest in April or May., i should start with my contest prep now as far as diet goes. So i will start with a calorie amount of 12 x tbw. i should be losing 1-2 lbs per week. I will continue to lift heavy (6-10 reps) and work bodyparts 2x per week or every 5 days. As far as cardio goes., i should save that for last resort, or if i stop losing weight at a minimum calorie amount. as the weeks go on, i only drop my calories when i stop losing and adjust it again to 12 x tbw. I'm taking a stab at the nutrient breakdown and will start with 40/30/30.
Im gonna stick with this for at least 8 weeks and see where i am at. To tell you truth., i really actually feel like i'm getting in better shape lifting heavy. i'm trying not to stare at my gut and just focus on getting stronger. even though this is the first week i lift heavy., i still feel really good!! i'm excited!! thank you so much for taking time to help me. i really appreciate it!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Rebecca

[quote=jewelofnile69;127777]Believe me, once you start, the insanity will never stop. Just be careful that you don't let the calorie counting, eating healthy, working out, etc, take over your life. We can get way too obsessive over this whole thing and end up making it unhealthy.

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.....in a better place now.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Trainer - Erik Ledin

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk1067 View Post
Ok., so let me see if i understand this: If i am looking to do a contest in April or May., i should start with my contest prep now as far as diet goes. So i will start with a calorie amount of 12 x tbw. i should be losing 1-2 lbs per week.
Don't obsess over the scale. Do the right things over time and bodyweight takes care of itself.

And fat loss is not usually linear.

Quote:
I will continue to lift heavy (6-10 reps) and work bodyparts 2x per week or every 5 days. As far as cardio goes., i should save that for last resort, or if i stop losing weight at a minimum calorie amount. as the weeks go on, i only drop my calories when i stop losing and adjust it again to 12 x tbw.
On the right track.

Quote:
I'm taking a stab at the nutrient breakdown and will start with 40/30/30.
I think macronutrient percentages are completely irrelevant personally.

Quote:
Im gonna stick with this for at least 8 weeks and see where i am at. To tell you truth., i really actually feel like i'm getting in better shape lifting heavy. i'm trying not to stare at my gut and just focus on getting stronger. even though this is the first week i lift heavy., i still feel really good!! i'm excited!! thank you so much for taking time to help me. i really appreciate it!!!!
Good stuff. And good luck.

LBC Facebook Page
Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Kenyatta

Quote:
Just make sure you're doing everything you can to normalize your body in your offseason. Eat enough calories (no deficit), eat enough carbs to maintain thyroid function, don't overdo the offseason cardio, etc.

I think you're going to be fine. But you might need a new hobby with all your extra free time during your prep.
LOL!!Well the above is exactly what I'm doing....I'm definitely getting the calories in....too much to be honest...still over my offseason max weight!!! I haven't done any cardio in the last 2 weeks BUT I feel like I should be doing something to drop a few pounds!! I need to get off all the ice cream and processed carbs (chex mix) and I'd probably drop some of this weight! It's amazing how funky this offseason has been 4 me ...the discipline and self control I had 3 months ago is completely gone when it comes to the diet!!!!

My ability takes me to the top. My character is what keeps me there.

***CHECK OUT MY JOURNAL ***

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=1067
Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Kenyatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meechel View Post
Good deal ......have faith! I have watched him for over a year now make some amazing transformations with people who follow his plans.(obviously he has been doing it longer I just happen to "meet" him last September)

Can't wait to meet ya in ATL and Erik too
Hey Meechel!! Look 4ward 2 meeting you 2!!! And yes, gotta have Faith....and not only that...I like to get my money's worth...so I'm definitely not going to cheat myself by paying a trainer then second guessing him and not following instructions!!! Southern saying, " Hard head makes a soft behind." Basically means not listening will make you regret it in the long run!

My ability takes me to the top. My character is what keeps me there.

***CHECK OUT MY JOURNAL ***

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=1067
Old 10-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Recovered Competitor - Julia

Facebook: Jewelofnile
Twitter: jewelofnile12

Quote:
Why do you feel you need to limit it a month out?
Just because I wouldn't stop eating it as I get close...some obvious brain malfunction Steak is by far my favorite food in the world...it's weird but I could easily binge on it.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Recovered Competitor - Julia

Facebook: Jewelofnile
Twitter: jewelofnile12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelofnile69 View Post
Just because I wouldn't stop eating it as I get close...some obvious brain malfunction Steak is by far my favorite food in the world...it's weird but I could easily binge on it.
"Originally Posted by Erik
Why do you feel you need to limit it a month out?"

And I guess that's not totally true as I'm having steak on Saturday night and I'll be 3 weeks out. What's the healthiest cut of the steak again?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsness View Post
what is ECA
Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Dolores

hi deb..
ECA = ephedra + caffeine + aspirin stack

old school thermo acronymn,
(i think)

Old 10-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Trainer - Erik Ledin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelofnile69 View Post
"Originally Posted by Erik
Why do you feel you need to limit it a month out?"

And I guess that's not totally true as I'm having steak on Saturday night and I'll be 3 weeks out. What's the healthiest cut of the steak again?
Not sure - I guess it would depend on how you're classifying 'healthy'.

People might say the lowest fat cuts - round cuts, etc. Sirloin coming after that.

But even with the slightly higher fat cuts, not all the fat in red meat is saturated; about 50% is monounsaturated (like the fat in olive oil for example).

I eat top sirloin most often myself.

LBC Facebook Page
Old 10-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Trainer - Erik Ledin

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfit View Post
hi deb..

(i think)

You got it. (aspirin not necessary)

LBC Facebook Page
Old 10-30-2008, 10:59 AM
NPC Figure Competitor - Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfit View Post
hi deb..

(i think)

Quote:
You got it. (aspirin not necessary)
thank you!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:33 PM
2008 NPC Easterns USA Fitness Champ - Michele

Default What sleep aids can I take the night before show day?

Hi Erik- I have terrible insomnia and take a number of meds to get to sleep. Do you know of any that would cause me NOT to retain water. I need to take something the night before my show. I usually take these (but not altogether):

1. Sonata
2. ZMA
3. Benadryl
4. Klonopin (anti anxiety)
5. Prolab REM- Prolab REM Blend 980mg *
White Willow Bark Extract (Salix Alba) (Bark), L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, Valerian Extract (Valeriana Officinalis) (Root) 100mg *
Melatonin

* Also, when should I drop all other supplements (not creatine) like herbal supplements (St John's wort, Hoodia, Glucomannan), my BCAAs, and fat burners with lots of ingredients in them? 1 week out? More than that? What about diet soda? Sorry so many questions.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Trainer - Erik Ledin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitFighter View Post
Hi Erik- I have terrible insomnia and take a number of meds to get to sleep. Do you know of any that would cause me NOT to retain water.
Shot or two of vodka? No water retention there.

Quote:
I need to take something the night before my show. I usually take these (but not altogether):

1. Sonata
2. ZMA
3. Benadryl
4. Klonopin (anti anxiety)
I don't know what that last one is, but I don't believe any of the first three cause acute water retention.

Quote:
5. Prolab REM- Prolab REM Blend 980mg *
White Willow Bark Extract (Salix Alba) (Bark), L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, Valerian Extract (Valeriana Officinalis) (Root) 100mg *
Melatonin
Interesting ingredient combination.

I'd use the melatonin - if it works for you.

Quote:
* Also, when should I drop all other supplements (not creatine) like herbal supplements (St John's wort, Hoodia, Glucomannan), my BCAAs, and fat burners with lots of ingredients in them? 1 week out? More than that? What about diet soda?
I cut it all out. Even if there is not a scientific reason to do so for each compound, it's better to just remove as many variables as possible and keep it to what you KNOW. I don't see anything in that list that needs to be kept in the last week.

LBC Facebook Page