Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini News & chat about Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini.

View Poll Results: Is Steroid Abuse Killing Female Bodybuilding???
Yes 44 48.35%
No 47 51.65%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Roe

Default Is Steroid Use Killing Female Bodybuilding???

With the evident decline in female bodybuilding and the rise of Figure.
Do you think that the use of steroids have hindered female bodybuilding.
Do you think most woman have went to Figure because they dont have to use the drugs (or amount of drugs)to compete. I have been to a bunch of shows this year and there has been very little participation in the Female bodybuilding portion of the show. For the most part all you have to do is show up at a national qualifier and you are going home with a trophy. I believe it was JR.USA's one class had one Female bodybuilder and thats a national show.

What are your thoughts or feelings. Everyones opinion counts .
If you dont want to answer the question just do the pole.

Former Olympian Rachel McCleish

Present top Bodybuilder

Last edited by ISABELLE TURELL : 11-03-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM
John

I don't believe the comparative numbers of female athletes competing in bodybuilding as opposed to fitness, figure and soon to be bikini within the NPC has to be linked to steroids. The mainstream press constantly filters everything related to iron sports with that, but the same could be said of track & field, baseball, and the NFL. I'd attribute the rise of figure to the more easily attainable physique associated with this realm of the sport at the amateur level. The numbers of fitness competitors has also declined, but not as a result of abuse of anything. That said thank goodness for Figure as it has brought more ladies into the sport, which in turn has kept many shows afloat that would have disappeared and in doing so diminished competitive opportunities for fitness and male and female bodybuilders.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:06 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano

Figure did not come about because women did not want to be the size of FBBers.

Figure started so that you could look like fitness but did not have to be able to do routine. And fitness started more as an athletic event primarily routine vs an aesthetic event.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Photographer - Tre Scott

Facebook: femflex
Twitter: femflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeperson View Post
With the evident decline in female bodybuilding...
Based upon what evidence?

You started out with a false premise.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 PM
IFBB Pro / NPC Judge - Isabelle Turell

Quote:
With the evident decline in female bodybuilding and the rise of Figure.
Do you think that the abuse of steroids have hindered female bodybuilding.
Do you think most woman have went to Figure because they dont have to use the drugs (or amount of drugs)to compete. I have been to a bunch of shows this year and there has been very little participation in the Female bodybuilding portion of the show. For the most part all you have to do is show up at a national qualifier and you are going home with a trophy. I believe it was JR.USA's one class had one Female bodybuilder and thats a national show.

What are your thoughts or feelings. Everyones opinion counts .
If you dont want to answer the question just do the pole.

Former Olympian Rachel McCleish

Present top Bodybuilder
I will be watching. Please be respectful to others members when posting in this thread.

On top of that there are tons of beautiful pro bodybuilders, and a lot of them are members of this board. I think you shoudl have posted a better picture.
If you can DREAM it, you CAN do it! -Walt Disney
Old 11-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Recovered Competitor - Julia

Facebook: Jewelofnile
Twitter: jewelofnile12

I haven't seen many (and in person none) female bodybuilders that look like that. At the last show I did, there were a lot more female bodybuilders than figure competitors and they all looked great. I personally did not want to bring my bodyfat down that far to compete, but probably could have if I made the effort. I don't think the image of female bodybuilders, at least in my own world, is 'ruining' anything. I say keep it up, gals!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Recovered Competitor - Julia

Facebook: Jewelofnile
Twitter: jewelofnile12

Oh, I also meant to say that I don't know how much steroid abuse is affecting it all. I've only ever competed in natural shows. Granted, you can probably get away with steroid use in those shows as well, but none of the women competing in BB 'appeared' to be using. The all appeared naturally muscular and lean to me.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Roe

Quote:
Figure did not come about because women did not want to be the size of FBBers.
You are so right but there has been so many people who would have done bb and have not because figure was available to them and they di not have to go to some of the same extremes to be top figure competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeperson
With the evident decline in female bodybuilding...

There has been article after article written on the decline of Female bodybuilding lok at the competitors list at any show on Muscular development
it's almost embarrising that there is so little participation.
Last year the conspiracy theory was they were going with was Figure was going with a softer look to make some of the harder figure girls cross over to bodybuilding. The Europa is not holding a female bb competition this year.
Go to any local show and there may be two to three girls competing if you are lucky shall I go on Oh I ,They were just talking about taking womans bb out of Muscular Development(not in agreement)

Here is your JR USA list no more than 5 girls in a class at the most at a national show. Overall
Jennifer Lynn-Cowan
Heavyweight
1. Mary Hobbs
2. Casey Daugherty
3. LaDawn Toniko-McDay
4. Lena Boone
5. Jocelyn Gorman
Light Heavyweight
1. Lisa Boushard
2. Faith Hooton
3. Amanda Micka
4. Christy Donat
5. Kimberly Duval
Lisa Hamm
Middleweight
1. Joy Henderson
2. Penny Ruff
Lightweight
1. Jennifer Lynn-Cowan
2. Gina Quinn
3. Karen Geninatti

Old 11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Roe

Quote:
I will be watching. Please be respectful to others members when posting in this thread.

On top of that there are tons of beautiful pro bodybuilders, and a lot of them are members of this board. I think you shoudl have posted a better picture.

Two Better Pics Anything for you Issabelle
Cory Everson

the Beautiful Iris Kyle
Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano

There are less fbbers at national level cuz it is harder to qualify Top 5 in BB at NQ do not qualify for nationals. At some show only the overall qualifies

I have seen alot of steroid use in figure competitors that haven't even been lifting for a year yet many fbbers lift for years before they go the extra step to AAS.

So many think it is a quick fix and a way to burn fat they have no idea what they are even doing and why
Old 11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
MsGuns

Quote:
You are so right but there has been so many people who would have done bb and have not because figure was available to them and they di not have to go to some of the same extremes to be top figure competitors.

There has been article after article written on the decline of Female bodybuilding lok at the competitors list at any show on Muscular development
it's almost embarrising that there is so little participation.
Last year the conspiracy theory was they were going with was Figure was going with a softer look to make some of the harder figure girls cross over to bodybuilding. The Europa is not holding a female bb competition this year.
Go to any local show and there may be two to three girls competing if you are lucky shall I go on Oh I ,They were just talking about taking womans bb out of Muscular Development(not in agreement)

Here is your JR USA list no more than 5 girls in a class at the most at a national show. Overall
Jennifer Lynn-Cowan
Heavyweight
1. Mary Hobbs
2. Casey Daugherty
3. LaDawn Toniko-McDay
4. Lena Boone
5. Jocelyn Gorman
Light Heavyweight
1. Lisa Boushard
2. Faith Hooton
3. Amanda Micka
4. Christy Donat
5. Kimberly Duval
Lisa Hamm
Middleweight
1. Joy Henderson
2. Penny Ruff
Lightweight
1. Jennifer Lynn-Cowan
2. Gina Quinn
3. Karen Geninatti

But USAs n Nationals always have big #s...I dont think it has anything to do w/ steriod use but what a gurl wants to look like.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:10 PM
John

Quote:
Jennifer Lynn-Cowan
Heavyweight
1. Mary Hobbs
2. Casey Daugherty
3. LaDawn Toniko-McDay
4. Lena Boone
5. Jocelyn Gorman
Light Heavyweight
1. Lisa Boushard
2. Faith Hooton
3. Amanda Micka
4. Christy Donat
5. Kimberly Duval
Lisa Hamm
Middleweight
1. Joy Henderson
2. Penny Ruff
Lightweight
1. Jennifer Lynn-Cowan
2. Gina Quinn
3. Karen Geninatti

I don't know that we should assign a specific number of competitors showing in a weight class or the predilections of one magazine's coverage to an assessment of steroids killing the sport.

2008 North Americans had more than the "five"
Heavyweight
Teresa Paschal
Christine Sabo
Christina Rhodes
Tammy Jones
Janeen Lankowski
LaDawn McDay
Jacqueline Christopher
Kris Murrell
Mary Mackenzie
Carmen Brady
Julie Peavey
Marcia Ferguson
Kathy Connors
Wendy McMaster
Anne Dudash
Heather Darling

Light Heavyweight
Jody Wald
Michelle Brent
Tracey Toth
Michelle Morrison
Janelle Miller
Diana Cook
Tess Blair
Heidi Bagwell
Jocelyn Gorman
Sylvia Chavez

Middleweight
Cheryl Faust
Kimberely Ferrell
Johanna Dejager
Roseanne Desmarais
Cassandra Floyd
Penny Ruff
Pam Shealy

Lightweight
Lori Steele
Ana Sanchez
Maryann Glascock

Our first year NPC Battle on the Coast this last Saturday in Melbourne had five female competitors of all ages and walks of life that each have their own unique story as to why their journey resulted in their representing on stage. I say they are all winners just as the emcee constantly reiterated with all the competitors who put in the effort with diet and exercise.

While on the subject of the major mags I'd say they have a hand in the decline of the sport by not featuring the everyday trials of the thousands of NPC and other amateur competitors as opposed to basically the same pros they highlighted in stories and advertisements a decade ago. I reckon that is why sites like SiouxCountry and team forums have become increasingly popular for the ladies and gents. Lobby for more positive stories in the larger pubs and mainstream press and the perceived decline will be but a memory
Old 11-03-2008, 03:16 PM
anglicanbeachparty

Quote:
With the evident decline in female bodybuilding ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FemFlex View Post

I agree with Tre ... the "evident decline" in female bodybuilding is not evident at all.

Quote:
There has been article after article written on the decline of Female bodybuilding ...
It is always fashionable to write about the decline or demise of female bodybuilding ... but it is simply not supportable by the facts.

If you look over the last 15 years of editorials that Steve Wennerstrom wrote for Women's Physique World, I think you will find at least a dozen well-documented rebuttals to these "decline" articles.

From where I sit, female bodybuilding appears to me more popular now than ever before.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:18 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Kenyatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGuns View Post
But USAs n Nationals always have big #s...I dont think it has anything to do w/ steriod use but what a gurl wants to look like.
I agree w/ Drex. Steroids has nothing to do w/ the decline of FBBs on the National level.

I may get dinged for this!! But, more figure girls are just willing to jump on the national stage w/ one nat'l qual under their belt....I myself am guilty of that...however, I did atleast work w/ a Nat'l judge who felt I was ready. Alot of these girls are jumping on stage and there not consulting w/ anyone but there boyfriend and/or hubby.

FBBs appear to recognize that just b/c u qualify for a National show doesn't mean you have to do it. I believe this is why the numbers are lower compared to figure.

If every figure girl waited a minimum of 1 year to get on the Nat'l stage after qualification the number or competitors would probably be alot lower. I don't have the numbers....but I'm willing to guess probably 50% of the girls on Nat'l stages may have less than 3 Nat'l Quals under their belt!!!

My ability takes me to the top. My character is what keeps me there.

***CHECK OUT MY JOURNAL ***

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=1067
Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Twitter: AirHarp

Quote:
I don't think that is the case at all. If Fitness or Figure were not around then those women would have went to the gym and worked out like they always had done.
When Fitness came out and women couldn't do flips and such they did not jump to FBB.
Agian it all comes down to how some one wants to look.

"only weak men fear strong women, so move on if he wilts..."- Wil Brink

Find me on FaceBook
FaceBook.com/TheAirHarp (My personal page has reached its limit)
This is my photography page. Pretty much all my work is here until I get my website completed. I am not cheap but I am affordable.

And I am on Twitter as well. @AirHarp is my name there as well.

VitaGlo.com[/size][/font][/b]
Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Kenyatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHarp View Post
I don't think that is the case at all. If Fitness or Figure were not around then those women would have went to the gym and worked out like they always had done.
When Fitness came out and women couldn't do flips and such they did not jump to FBB.
Agian it all comes down to how some one wants to look.
It's not the case!! My prep for figure was extreme...3hrs of cardio is extreme!! Period! I will try some new methods for my next prep, but to say doing figure so you don't have to do the extreme prep is just BS!! Sorry Roe, I'm not buying that one!

My ability takes me to the top. My character is what keeps me there.

***CHECK OUT MY JOURNAL ***

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=1067
Old 11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
NurseShane

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenyatta View Post
I agree w/ Drex. Steroids has nothing to do w/ the decline of FBBs on the National level.

I may get dinged for this!! But, more figure girls are just willing to jump on the national stage w/ one nat'l qual under their belt....I myself am guilty of that...however, I did atleast work w/ a Nat'l judge who felt I was ready. Alot of these girls are jumping on stage and there not consulting w/ anyone but there boyfriend and/or hubby.

FBBs appear to recognize that just b/c u qualify for a National show doesn't mean you have to do it. I believe this is why the numbers are lower compared to figure.

If every figure girl waited a minimum of 1 year to get on the Nat'l stage after qualification the number or competitors would probably be alot lower. I don't have the numbers....but I'm willing to guess probably 50% of the girls on Nat'l stages may have less than 3 Nat'l Quals under their belt!!!

I agree with Kenyetta and Ms. Guns

As far as the unnattractive picture That was mentioned. I have dated girls who looked hard from gear use.To me it was all about us and our lifestyle and her personality.This was true for me in Highschool to.I dated a girl who had a deformed hand from a drug her mother took that used to be prescribed to pregnant women back in the day for nausea, I caught crap from my friends for it but I didn't care.
What may be unnattractive to one person may be beautiful to another especially after you get to know the person under the skin.
NS

Last edited by NurseShane : 11-03-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Jason

Facebook: siouxcountryfb
Twitter: siouxcountry
Instagram: siouxcountry

Add a pro card to the Jr Shows and you will see far more women compete in them.

Its not going to happen though, as then the junior shows would be as large as the USAs, North American, & Masters.

Got a Smartphone? Download Forum Runner to read & post from your phone!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Roe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenyatta View Post
It's not the case!! My prep for figure was extreme...3hrs of cardio is extreme!! Period! I will try some new methods for my next prep, but to say doing figure so you don't have to do the extreme prep is just BS!! Sorry Roe, I'm not buying that one!
Believe me I understand if you kick ass in the gym you kick ass in the gym what i meant by that extra step was the abuse, not use of AAS.
And believe me this is fine if it is what you want I am just asking with the rise of figure are more woman not willing to take that next step to compete on a national level competetive bodybuilding stage.

Quote:
If you look over the last 15 years of editorials that Steve Wennerstrom wrote for Women's Physique World, I think you will find at least a dozen well-documented rebuttals to these "decline" articles.

From where I sit, female bodybuilding appears to me more popular now than ever before.
It's funny you say that because right before the Arnold I was with Bill Jentz owner of WPW he was explaining to me that the magazine is no longer in print because of Lack of interest and not being cost efficient anymore.

So your saying at the local level there has always been suchsmall amounts of participation.

Please dont take this thread as an insult because I believe all of you sisters kick ass and are dedicated to what you do I am just tryng to get some opinions . most people who write on the board seem to think the answer to my original question is no but the poll at 12:15 were tied.

You guys are all making great points most are making alot of sense as well. Thanks for giving me a diff perspective

Last edited by roeperson : 11-03-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Roe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcountry View Post
Add a pro card to the Jr Shows and you will see far more women compete in them.

Its not going to happen though, as then the junior shows would be as large as the USAs, North American, & Masters.
Why not one pro card at the JR. Shows for the bb woman but a bunch for figure is bb getting oversaturated at the pro ranks. They say that woman can stand the test of time alot better then men though. I believe there are more pro woman then men who are over 40