Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini News & chat about Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:52 AM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

Default How can you contribute?

How can we promote and make our sport increasingly popular?
How can we assure the growth and expansion of it?

What do you think we could do to further our sport?

Last edited by DANISH DYNAMITE : 11-06-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:56 AM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

I'd like to add, this forum is not just for the ladies, this is everybody's chance; fans, supporters, photographers, trainers, athletes etc. to give their 2 cents to how they possibly could contribute to promote our beloved sport, in the effort of turning it into a more popular sport.

Start with yourself. For instance: Athletes, always be friendly and helpful in the gym to other people? Wouldnt that be a place to start? - It might be the obvious, but are you sending out the right signals to people?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 AM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

I will for starter's blurt out one idea.

If anyone here wants to open a gym or a training/supplement store, hire people who works out. Give them the credit and respect they deseve. If people see's that the owner gives his bodybuilding/fitness employee the respect and authority they need, people will adapt it.

I have a friend, a very good friend. We used to date for 5 years when I was 17, I had just started bodybuilding when I met him. We basicly 'grew up' in bodybuilding together. He was the most hardcore bodybuilding freak out there. He always worked he's ass off in the gym, and everybody who didnt do bottom squats were pussies! LOL He LOVED the sport.
A year ago he opened his own gym with some partners, they talked him into the idea that it was best to open a gym for mainstream people only. That would be commercially better! 'Big people' were denied memberships and tank tops is not allowed - no big dumbells either.
I was invited to the reception, but I was asked not to bring my boyfriend at that time, who was a 'big house', because it would be sending the wrong signals.
Needless to say I was very disappointed, and didnt show up.
I'm working out in his gym now, we've talked about the matter, he has regretted, and is loosening up a bit. He's 100% pro the sport, and supports me big time. He just let himself get influenced by other people.

What I want to say is, it starts with ourselves first. We can not complain, and then do the opposite thing or nothing at all.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Administrator
Jason

Facebook: siouxcountryfb
Twitter: siouxcountry
Instagram: siouxcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANISH DYNAMITE View Post
How can we promote and make our sport increasingly popular?
How can we assure the growth and expansion of it?

What do you think we could do to further our sport?
How about contacting local media? See if they would be interested in doing a story on you. Contact National media, and shows. You have nothing to lose.

Recently Colette Nelson & Amy Lee Martin have been on mainstream talk radio shows.

How about visiting schools and showing young people the benefits of weight training and diet?

Got a Smartphone? Download Forum Runner to read & post from your phone!

Last edited by DANISH DYNAMITE : 11-06-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 AM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcountry View Post
How about contacting local media? See if they would be interested in doing a story on you. Contact National media, and shows. You have nothing to lose.

Recently Colette Nelson & Amy Lee Martin have been on mainstream talk radio shows.
That's a good idea. Everybody can do that. You dont even have to have won any major shows, as long as you are into health and fitness, its just important to get out there and spread the word. There are so many ladies here who has so much to offer. But the media doesnt come to you. You have to do the footwork. Contact your local newspaper - Spread the word about our sport, what it is about, why you are doing it - Let them know that YOU are helping America(or any country) become healthier - create a positive image. It will promote our sport.
Quote:
How about visiting schools and showing young people the benefits of weight training and diet?
Another great idea! America is becoming FATTER. Obesity is LIFE-threatening. Who has extensive knowledge about nutrition and training?
YOU do! We all do. The ordinary person wont even know if a banana is carbs or protein. - WE are in a position to educate, guide and help others to a healthier lifestyle, longer life and more longevity. It all starts with the kids. They are the new world.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Denny

Maybe you could provide some contests summaries for educational purposes...at least for the bigger shows.

I felt I learn more about the asthetics of bodybuilding from Helle's Ms. Olympia write up on this site than anywhere else.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

Sure. Thats a good idea. Im glad you liked my competition reviews in the past
I believe that in order to further and promote our sport, we must educate educate educate. Education leads to understanding which leads to respect and tolerance.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 PM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

Another thing I was thinking about, which the fans could do in order to further the women's side of the sport..

I'm not sure that the promoters REALLY know how many fans fbb, fitness and figure has. We've got a lot of fans! We've got all you loyal fans whom we dearly appreciate and love!

There's always talk about the men's shows, and how they pay for the women's, which is absolutely untrue.

Fans! Please write the promoters an email, - tell them just HOW much you appreciate the women's side of the sport, that you would gladly spend your money on tickets for the shows.
This year there are several shows which host men's shows, but no women's.
For instance; The Europa Supershow email: BettyPariso@aol.com and
a new pro competition hosted in Europe - The Joe Weider's Pro Cup.
This is really big for us to have a pro competition in Europe, but where are the women!
If it's a question of money, I dont understand why they dont lower the$100.000 prizemoney for the men, which is already a lot more than a lot of US shows are handing out, and add the women's.
http://www.joeweidersproworldcup.eu/englishhome.html

Fans, Please help women's body sculpting

Thank you!
Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Blondell

I think a major part of exposing the general public to any sport is having 'likeable' ambassadors.

These are the type of people that live and love the sport and are able to relay the message of that sport to the public. People who are willing to put themselves out there, be judged, criticized and gone over w/ a fine-tooth comb in order to show that bb'ing is as much a sport as any other AND that those of us who participate in it are 'normal' people w/ normal lives and responsibilities.

WE ALL CAN BE THESE PEOPLE!! If we live our lives as an example of what this lifestyle is (and can be) it would have an impact on a larger scale than most realize. Show others that we can be strong in the gym, weak at times, articulate and caring. Many believe that the lifestyle that we lead is a selfish one--in many cases, this is true. However, if we are going to get past stereotypes of what it is to be a bodybuilder, we have to show that the TRUE sport of bodybuilding is about love for self and respect for others.

**my .02**

That was longer than I expected it to be.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Jason

Facebook: siouxcountryfb
Twitter: siouxcountry
Instagram: siouxcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC View Post
Maybe you could provide some contests summaries for educational purposes...at least for the bigger shows.

I felt I learn more about the asthetics of bodybuilding from Helle's Ms. Olympia write up on this site than anywhere else.
Helle's reviews were excellent. Maybe after the Nationals (the USAs biggest amateur show) we can get Helle to review it. Such detailed reviews educates us and also fun to read.

Got a Smartphone? Download Forum Runner to read & post from your phone!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 AM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondell View Post
I think a major part of exposing the general public to any sport is having 'likeable' ambassadors.
Very, very true.

Quote:
WE ALL CAN BE THESE PEOPLE!! If we live our lives as an example of what this lifestyle is (and can be) it would have an impact on a larger scale than most realize. Show others that we can be strong in the gym, weak at times, articulate and caring.
I couldnt have said it better
Quote:

However, if we are going to get past stereotypes of what it is to be a bodybuilder, we have to show that the TRUE sport of bodybuilding is about love for self and respect for others.
I agree

Thanks, Blondell, I loved your post
Crazy Avi!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 AM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

Quote:
Helle's reviews were excellent. Maybe after the Nationals (the USAs biggest amateur show) we can get Helle to review it. Such detailed reviews educates us and also fun to read.
LOL maybe I can do that

I cant wait for you to show us sum pix
Old 11-11-2008, 11:03 AM
NPC Bodybuilder - Laurel

Quote:

Education is the key. Starting with young people is a great starting point.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 AM
NPC Bodybuilder - Laurel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondell View Post

These are the type of people that live and love the sport and are able to relay the message of that sport to the public. People who are willing to put themselves out there, be judged, criticized and gone over w/ a fine-tooth comb in order to show that bb'ing is as much a sport as any other AND that those of us who participate in it are 'normal' people w/ normal lives and responsibilities.

WE ALL CAN BE THESE PEOPLE!! If we live our lives as an example of what this lifestyle is (and can be) it would have an impact on a larger scale than most realize. Show others that we can be strong in the gym, weak at times, articulate and caring. Many believe that the lifestyle that we lead is a selfish one--in many cases, this is true. However, if we are going to get past stereotypes of what it is to be a bodybuilder, we have to show that the TRUE sport of bodybuilding is about love for self and respect for others.

**my .02**

That was longer than I expected it to be.
I am a business professional and do not fit the stereotypical bodybuilder, so when I am asked about the sport by my associates, clients, etc., I am happy to "educate" and hopefully negate their perconcieved notions of bodybuilding. And of course, I always invite them to come watch.....And they do!!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Denny

Quote:
Old 11-12-2008, 03:04 PM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
And of course, I always invite them to come watch.....And they do!!
How cool!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
And of course, I always invite them to come watch.....And they do!!
After my family members came to a show, they started asking me when the next one was. I was pleasantly surprised at the interest they took in it after going.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:09 PM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

Wow that really nice, when they all take that kind of interest.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANISH DYNAMITE View Post
Wow that really nice, when they all take that kind of interest.
Perhaps it would help to promote outside of the normal arenas.

What about posting show fliers in unexpected places? College campuses? Salons? Heck...even clubs/bars???

Old 11-12-2008, 03:30 PM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

I think that is just an exellent idea! What the sport needs is more exposure. More positive coverage. We need to reach out to more people. We keep into our own little circles, and the promoters of the shows doesnt do much advertisement - often just on bodybuilding related websites. I know sooo many people who doesnt know the difference of bodybuilding and figure, yet alone what the sport is about. Usually, they think that in my sport I lift stuff - that Im some kind of powerlifter or something, at other times they say: 'isnt that where you(and make a doubble biceps gesture pose)?'.. They have no clue to what we do on that stage - And that is a SHAME!!

How can we make a sport popular when nobody knows what it is about? The only thing that people DO know, which the media has been so helpful to contribute to, is steroids! And thats a darn shame! Here in Denmark the word 'bodybuilder' even has a bit of a negative sound to it, people prefer to say they're just into fitness. I really think we should work on this.

The flyers, brochures etc is an exellent idea,often its just a matter of, who will pay for them? And who will pass them out? .. But if everyone talks with their federation about it, and is willing to do some volunteer work, then it would work out.