Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Chat & Introduction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chat & Introduction We chat about everything, and anything. Stop on in and introduce yourself.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Eryn Strickland

Default TOP TEN GYM PET PEEVES -- A MUST READ

AT THE REQUEST OF SIOUX......

I am posting this excerpt from my training journal for all to view. I am sure all of you can relate, laugh, and add your own pet peeves so feel free to expand on this list.

From Journal Entry 12-30-08......

That brings me to a funny topic......gym etiquette.

This may be an overdone topic but since its MY journal and I want to vent about it, I thought I would. So there. I posted this on another one of my blogs and the response was hilarious.

Over the years I have been not only the recipient of REALLY horrifying experiences with this as well as an unfortunate offender from time to time. And don't lie.....we've all done it someway, somewhere.

Here are the top 10 worst experiences/pet peeves of mine:
Oh...and PS, I am listed them in order from bad to absolutely sickening)

1. TEXTING AND/OR ANY OTHER CELL PHONE USAGE WHILE IN THE GYM!!!!
Really people? Its THAT important? Unless you are waiting for a call about a liver, kidney, or some other crucial organ....I just think its just rediculous. Especially the people that do it in between and even during each set or excersize! There was a guy I was trying to work in with on the leg press machine a few months back and in between every excersize he'd walk ALL the way outside to call someone else back!!! Unbelievable.

2. CARDIO COMPETITORS.....one of my favorites.
You know who you are! Those people who are constantly eyeing your incline/speed/resistance level as if they risk losing their first born if they aren't equal to or surpassing it. This is not only silly to me but even more hilarious when they can't keep up or begin to look like they are on the verge of an aneurysym -- red-faced, panting, etc. These people truly worry me Its mostly the men that end up next to me that usually start these reindeer games. Figures...
So, eh hem......To whom it may concern, I am working this hard because in a few months I will be half-naked in front of a judges panel.....unless that is the case for you???? SLOW DOWN and spare us the inevitable CPR!!!

3. PESKY PICK-UP LINES OR ANY CONVERSATON AT ALL WHILE I HAVE MY iPOD ON AND LOOK LIKE I MEAN BUSINESS!!!
I really hate it when guys in particular try to hit on you or make conversation while trying to get a heavy workout in and even try to talk OVER the music in my ears. I have my iPod on for a reason. Its to keep me in the zone and focused. Its so that I can do my work out and leave. The gym is NOT my social club or dating service. That's ok for those of you who see it this way. I am not judging. It just is a lot more serious for me than most people. That's my choice, and I know that. I just get a little frustrated when I get interrupted for something silly. Its usually those repeat offenders too......You know the type. They prowl around the gym just chatting it up with every woman in there looking for their moment to throw out the stupidist pick up lines...."hey, we should do legs together one day". Whatever.

4. GYM BULLIES....is there any greater crime?
This one will be a short one because I just get too angry. Just because you happen to want the machine I am using, and just because I have 3 more sets, and just because I may happen to be a girl.......DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO NOT ONLY KEEP ASKING ME IF I AM DONE YET (AGAIN...), BUT IT ALSO DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO CIRCLE ME OVER AND OVER LIKE A DAMN BUZZARD ON ROAD KILL. Take a lap, go get a drink of water, and breathe a little. I'll be done when I'm done. Nuff said.

5. INAPPROPRIATE ATTIRE
Although this one can be annoying....its pretty damn funny too. So I would like to thank everyone guilty of it. You provide much needed comic relief from time to time. This one includes but is not limited to.....waaaayyyyy too short shorts (men AND women....ew!), those stringy tank tops that the meat-heads wear from the 80's, thong excersize leotards over leggings(another culprit circa 1980 aka the Olivia Newton-John "let's get physical" look), Jeans and Timberlands....come on, xtra small sports bra with xtra large breasts, and last but not least......excessive make-up/jewlery/and any other outfit coordination that looks like it took longer than an hour to put together.

6. NOT WIPING OFF YOUR SWEAT FROM THE MACHINE.....need I say more? That's just wrong.

7. OVERLY SEXUAL GRUNTERS
Yes, we know that its heavy....its supposed to be. But some of you should win an oscar for best supporting actor/actress in a deadlift and/or benchpress for the dramatic portrayal of how hard you are working. I understand that breathing is important and a little grunt here or there never hurt anyone....but some of it is down right obscene. Yes....you have ALL of our attention. Are you happy? You should'nt be! You should be ashamed of yourself.

8. SHOWER NOSE-BLOWERS
I am often amazed in the locker room with what I see but even more amazed at what I hear. DON'T BLOW YOUR NOSE IN THE SHOWER.......GROSS! Get a tissue or some toilet paper like the rest of us will ya? These barn-raised perpetrators must really not care how sick and disgusting that is. Maybe its just my pre-occupation with mucus and how much it makes me want to gag from my traumatic nursing career, but I think you all feel my pain.:sick3:

9. CHRONIC LOCKER ROOM POOPERS
There are just some people who must hold it until they get to the gym EVERY DAY to do it. Boggles the mind.

10. NUDISTS
This one is not for the faint of heart and my final pet peeve. Oh man.....where do I begin? I get that some of you are from the peace/lovin' 60's and are ok to embrace that free spirit of yours....but can you spare the rest of us your brazen exhibitionism?? NO ONE WANTS TO SEE IT..... ANY OF IT. That's why they have towels! Eureka! A little peak from time to time.....no biggie, we are all women (or men) but prancing around the locker room as if the world is your oyster.....NOT OK!!! :Melissa 2: I think I would like to share a personal experience with everyone to close out this blog for the day....because quite frankly I am a little tired. True story......there was this woman at my gym about a year ago who would (EVERY DAY...keep in mind) finish her morning cardio and then strip down and walk around butt-naked talking to people, using the bathroom, etc for at least an hour. It was absolutely repulsive. The straw that broke the camel's back one day was that she had completed her normal morning routine (naked...duh), got into about 3-4 conversations with other clothed people, and began to walk towards me. We had talked only a few times but I felt my heart racing and was trying to plan a getaway. I was unsuccessful. As she began to talk to me about something she grabbed the public hair dryer on the wall, put her leg up on the bench that I was sitting on, and began to dry herself off with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use your imagination or don't to spare yourself that image in your mental rolodex....I'll understand. But WOW!!! I know!!! Needless to say I had to confront her on how innappropriate I thought her usual routine was and that I wasn't sure about anyone else but I was really uncomfortable with it. I think she gives me dirty looks to this day. I aint losing any sleep over it....lemme tell ya.

In closing.....there are just certain things that you do at YOUR OWN HOUSE, ON YOUR OWN TIME. Please spare the rest of us your bad habits and disgusting quirks! In a day and age where most people on this planet need to value their health and be attending the gym for excersize on a regular basis lets not scare them off. Thank you.

This has been a public service announcement from Eryn Strickland. The views expressed in this blog are 100% how she feels and should not be taken lightly.

PLEASE ADD TO THIS LIST AS I AM SURE THERE ARE SOME I HAVE FORGOTTEN. LOL!!!! :lol5::lol5::lol5::lol5::lol5::lol5:

XO ERYN

Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Kassandra

#7 is hilarious. I just had one yesterday. It went something like: [Lift] C'mon baby, yeah...ugh. [Lift]Aaaaah, do it, do it, yeah. [Lift] Uuugh! No joke.

As far as inappropriate attire goes, unless you are on the Tour de France, biker shorts for men should be banned altogether. NO ONE wants to see 'the package'.

My peeve is the 'trans-gym super-setter'. There is a guy, in particular' who traverses the gym, and I mean aaa-aaaaall the way across the gym to use two machines--AND he talks to people on each leg of his journey. He EXPECTS that his machines are going to remain unused and will get an attitude. That irks me. I watch him do it most mornings. The kicker is after two years, he looks exactly the same.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano

I witnessed the incident in #10 several years ago leg on bench and all
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 PM

Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Making_A_Change View Post
#7 is hilarious. I just had one yesterday. It went something like: [Lift] C'mon baby, yeah...ugh. [Lift]Aaaaah, do it, do it, yeah. [Lift] Uuugh! No joke.

As far as inappropriate attire goes, unless you are on the Tour de France, biker shorts for men should be banned altogether. NO ONE wants to see 'the package'.

My peeve is the 'trans-gym super-setter'. There is a guy, in particular' who traverses the gym, and I mean aaa-aaaaall the way across the gym to use two machines--AND he talks to people on each leg of his journey. He EXPECTS that his machines are going to remain unused and will get an attitude. That irks me. I watch him do it most mornings. The kicker is after two years, he looks exactly the same.
LMAO!!!!!!!!! YOU GOTTA LOVE IT!

SEE, THIS IS WHY THIS IS SUCH A FUN POST! I love hearing stuff like this.

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Blondell

Number 1, I am guilty of and refuse to stop. Sometimes, it's the only thing that gets me through cardio w/o stopping. lol

I feel ya on the others!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:53 PM

Default Ok....fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
I witnessed the incident in #10 several years ago leg on bench and all
Its always a pleasure, isn't it Suzanne??? LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondell View Post
Number 1, I am guilty of and refuse to stop. Sometimes, it's the only thing that gets me through cardio w/o stopping. lol

I feel ya on the others!
OK....maybe I need to do a recall and/or clarification on #1 because I have had many responses that people either use their cell phones to record their training (which is the best idea...I must admit) or need it for their sanity.

So Blondell, Suzanne and any other cell phone users....the tribe has spoken and you ladies get a pass. ha ha!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpinironeryn View Post

OK....maybe I need to do a recall and/or clarification on #1 because I have had many responses that people either use their cell phones to record their training (which is the best idea...I must admit) or need it for their sanity.

So Blondell, Suzanne and any other cell phone users....the tribe has spoken and you ladies get a pass. ha ha!
I keep my w/o's in my phone. I prefer it over carrying a notebook around to log my training. I also text, play games and browse the net while doing my cardio. It makes it MUCH more bearable.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:36 PM
CBBF Bodybuilder - Colleen

Great list! There's nothing like walking by the squat rack when some guys has it loaded up, going ATG and let's one rip
Old 01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
IFBB Pro - Tamee Marie

Love this list!!

My husband witnessed the blow dryer in the mens locker room!! This old guy pull pulled the boys out flat like a sheet of paper and started flapping it under the hand drying after taking a shower. I've never seen my husband so green and ill before! Too funny
myspace.com/gofigure_fitness

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle... I just wish he didn't trust me so much!"
Old 01-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Default EW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
Great list! There's nothing like walking by the squat rack when some guys has it loaded up, going ATG and let's one rip
I guess I'll add our beloved farters to the list......God help us all if they are on a contest diet too! ICK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TameMe View Post
Love this list!!

My husband witnessed the blow dryer in the mens locker room!! This old guy pull pulled the boys out flat like a sheet of paper and started flapping it under the hand drying after taking a shower. I've never seen my husband so green and ill before! Too funny
Gotta love our free spirits.......

Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 PM
CBBF Bodybuilder - Colleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpinironeryn View Post
I guess I'll add our beloved farters to the list......God help us all if they are on a contest diet too! ICK!
I know, so gross.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 PM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

I find it so annoying when people don't unload the racks/machines they've been using. Especially on leg day.. On a several occarions i've experienced after doing I-dont-know-how-many-sets-of squats and being jelly legged and feeling like that someone had left the legpress with 10 or more plates on each side!! Of course this was the last machine I was going to use with light weights for my finishing sets siiiighhh

But usually I ask a guy nearby if he would be so kind and help me out. I've never experienced anybody saying no
Old 01-02-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANISH DYNAMITE View Post
I've never experienced anybody saying no
Who's gonna say no to you?!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 PM
IFBB Pro - Helle Nielsen

Quote:
Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 PM

Default HA HA!!!

Quote:
Yeah...really

Old 01-03-2009, 05:58 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Danielle

Eryn, that is by far the BEST thread EVER!
You said everything in a mouthful....from the stalking equipment, to the grunts, to the ppl who wait to get to the gym to take the dump of their lives! My husband and i sat here laughing
To add to what you said about ppl stalking the cardio equipment - ppl in our gym actually unplug the machine they want to use so that no 1 else uses it! its extremely frustrating....we also have 2 girls that do the most bizarre jumping jack routine its hysterical...
Old 01-04-2009, 12:44 AM
IFBB Pro / NPC Judge - Isabelle Turell

Fabulous thread!

Yesterday I was in the gym training and this older woman had way too much perfume on. The whole gym smelled like this ladys perfume. grrr It was very annoying
If you can DREAM it, you CAN do it! -Walt Disney
Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 AM
NPC Bodybuilder - Maureen

Great list, very comical, but I'll have to 2nd the leaving the plates on the machines! That is my biggest pet peeve! The others don't bother me so much, as I rarely pay attention to anything or anyone. If I lift my head, there's always someone asking me questions on how to get fit. Which I guess we can add to the list too.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:39 AM
IFBB Pro - Athena Siganakis

Ok now that I've stopped lmao!!! I will add...

This used to bug me, but now I just shake my head and move on.

Andy and I usually train together when I'm getting ready for a show. This year after I won guys would walk right past me and congratulate him on how great I looked. 'Way to go dude. She looked great. Congrats. What did you do to get her to look like that? Can you do that for me?'

My other pet peeve is people who start conversations with the girls I'm working with. Umm hello, we're busy here. Yesterday I told one guy to please leave her alone she's working. He told me to shut up lol. I think I am officially the bitch of the gym now. Took long enough

Last edited by Quadrablue : 01-04-2009 at 01:40 AM. Reason: grammar?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:09 AM
Elle

Ok, I might not make any friends here BUT may I offer another perspective as far as makeup in the gym?

When I joined my gym a year ago I was VERY intimidated. I would get ready for the day in the AM, with cute hair and makeup and then before I worked out I'd always apply my favorite lip gloss. It was semi-sheer but real shiny, lol

I still do that! I even carry my lip shimmer and put it on before cardio! I do that for ME not for ppl looking at me. I don't slather on too much lotion in the AM but HAVE noticed that once i get to the gym by mid morning and work up any kinda sweat it smells stronger.

I suppose when you see people trying to look cute in the gym they're just trying to bring their "A game" to even be muster the courage to walk through the door. I do the same when i go to my in-laws. Always try to look purty so i act purty. (omg!) MIND GAMES!

Oh yeah but he nekkid old Chinese ladies freak me out! As well as the snot rockets. Nasty!

EDITED to add: When i DO get to the gym at 5AM I roll straight outta bed and put on a baseball cap with zero makeup. Sometimes my socks don't even totally match.

But I still wear my lip gloss even fresh out of bed! haha!

Last edited by elle : 01-04-2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: adding.