Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini News & chat about Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:56 PM
John

Default Is Figure Really the New Bodybuilding?

As times change and the federations try to adjust to appeal to mainstreamers that are intimidated by women with anything more than mammaries and buttocks could it be that figure is rapidly becoming the dominion of what we have traditionally known as bodybuilders?
We see signs of where this could be the case as figure competitors are scored down for being too muscular, vascular, conditioned, and even for rigid postures. Might this be a sign that these women scored down ought to actually be competing in bodybuilding?
The term itself "bodybuilding" connotes something that those flabby mainstreamers don't like, which results in some marketing savvy interests dropping the term entirely from their promotion of women in this realm of the physique sports.
As Helle Nielsen noted on Siouxcountry Radio might "Body Sculpting" be a better and more savory expression than bodybuilding for women these days?
Take a look at my current avatar and you will find a beautiful lady who competed in figure at the CJ Classic, but could possibly have faired quite well in bodybuilding.
Such a shame that semantics is such a necessity in best promoting the beautiful physiques of female competitors in bodybuilding, fitness, figure, and now bikini.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Jason

Facebook: siouxcountryfb
Twitter: siouxcountry
Instagram: siouxcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
Take a look at my current avatar and you will find a beautiful lady who competed in figure at the CJ Classic, but could possibly have faired quite well in bodybuilding.
What was her placing?

Joel posted pics of a figure competitor who switched over and competed in bodybuilding this year..............

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=6456

She won the overall.

Got a Smartphone? Download Forum Runner to read & post from your phone!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcountry View Post
What was her placing?

Joel posted pics of a figure competitor who switched over and competed in bodybuilding this year..............

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=6456

She won the overall.
2nd in class d:
Venezolana Tibisay Robles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fC7Y8LGq2Y

Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 PM
IFBB Pro - Athena Siganakis

Ok so here's a question...... if there were no shows for fbb's how many of you would crossover to figure so you could still compete? My answer....NO!!! I love who I am and have no wish to tone it down just to get on a stage.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Muscle Mom

Amen sista-Quadrablue...No offense John, but IMO-i dont think she would be a bb, to me that girl looks like a true old fashion Figure- which i think she looks fantastic as...but fbb?? i dont think so..(imo)

Follow me on Twitter... http://twitter.com/#!/pinkandpainmom
Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrablue View Post
Ok so here's a question...... if there were no shows for fbb's how many of you would crossover to figure so you could still compete? My answer....NO!!! I love who I am and have no wish to tone it down just to get on a stage.

Granted you can't be in full bore development mode as a top IFBB athlete and hope to succeed by toning it down (lol), but aren't these really issues of degree versus as you describe an extreme where bodybuilding for women might,..go away? We know it isn't going away but many bodybuilding quality physiques appear in the IFBB Figure and Fitness ranks. As an IFBB Pro can't you for instance compete also in figure as a pro?

I see this come up with bodybuilding ladies in how they market themselves where they might prefer on their website to refer to themselves only as an IFBB athlete whereas you refer to yourself proudly as an IFBB Professional Bodybuilder at www.AthenaSiganakis.com
Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri View Post
Amen sista-Quadrablue...No offense John, but IMO-i dont think she would be a bb, to me that girl looks like a true old fashion Figure- which i think she looks fantastic as...but fbb?? i dont think so..(imo)
Unfortunately, on a local level some of the girls competing as bodybuilders er, don't look as much like a bodybuilder as she does, lol.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 AM
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT! I train because I love it and love the muscle. Competing is just for fun. Especially the new figure
Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Muscle Mom

Quote:
Unfortunately, on a local level some of the girls competing as bodybuilders er, don't look as much like a bodybuilder as she does, lol.
ok true...i will give u that...I just hope ur "question" is not the way its going to go...

Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri View Post
I don't think she is FBBer either

just because you are lean does not = BBer
Old 03-30-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
That is because WAY TOO MANY people rush to stage LONG before they should even more in figure than BBBing
Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 AM
IFBB Pro - Beni Lopez

I am what I am said POPEYE....and I was A FBB when I started out over 10 years ago then switched to figure thinking I would never have big enough muskles for bodybuilding( lol ) but lil did I realize I was always bb at heart even when I WAS DOING FIGURE just a miniature version
Old 03-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Muscle Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil mama View Post
I am what I am said POPEYE....and I was A FBB when I started out over 10 years ago then switched to figure thinking I would never have big enough muskles for bodybuilding( lol ) but lil did I realize I was always bb at heart even when I WAS DOING FIGURE just a miniature version

Old 03-30-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
me too! Once i switched back i knew i was home! plus there was a time i equated being a size 1-3 in offseason as looking good and being lean I am OVER that!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 AM
IFBB Pro / NPC Judge - Isabelle Turell

Quote:
Way to Go Athena!

We don't do crossovers anymore here in Indiana. We ran into problems where the girls competing in figure didn't place to high and crossed over to bodybuilding and placed well. This could also be due to the fact that we don't have many competitors in female bodybuilding anyway in Indiana. I really wish we did. We no longer allow crossovers from figure to bodybuilding or vice versa. Either you want to be a bodybuilder or a figure competitor.

Now our Indiana's very own Jennifer Gates started out as a bodybuilder (which she looked great) and then went and competed in figure. Look at all her success
If you can DREAM it, you CAN do it! -Walt Disney
Old 03-30-2009, 05:38 AM

Hey, I tried training for fitness back in my early 30's. Have no clue if I would've been good at it or not. What I do know is that at heart I am bodybuilder. I can't imagine being anything else.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISABELLE TURELL-STAMPER View Post
We ran into problems where the girls competing in figure didn't place to high and crossed over to bodybuilding and placed well. This could also be due to the fact that we don't have many competitors in female bodybuilding anyway in Indiana.
Belle kind of makes the point here as there is a lot of bodybuilding talent in the figure ranks and that for some reason the bodybuilding ranks are lacking. I believe it is the stigma attached to it. I wish I knew how that could be addressed head on and put a positive spin on it to help build the popularity of the sport.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Belle kind of makes the point here as there is a lot of bodybuilding talent in the figure ranks and that for some reason the bodybuilding ranks are lacking. I believe it is the stigma attached to it. I wish I knew how that could be addressed head on and put a positive spin on it to help build the popularity of the sport.
You and me both. I've had a few girls come to me that want to do figure that are clearly meant to be bbers. But you can't force them to do what they don't want to do, even after they don't place well as figure girls. They just keep using the word 'skinny'. I hate that word
Old 03-30-2009, 01:33 PM
NPC Physique Competitor - Lada

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
me too! Once i switched back i knew i was home! plus there was a time i equated being a size 1-3 in offseason as looking good and being lean I am OVER that!
Me too I competed as bodybuilder and always was a bodybuilder, but Figure here ruined lightweight bodybuilding (we have only middle and heavy weight now here on Nationals).... When I did my comeback to open classes from teenage class - I thought I am tiny to be a bodybuilder. On my first figure I was kicked out because of being "too huge" ....
Than I competed in Bulgary - in Figure too, but this "figure" was rather lightweight bodybuilding. I wanted to go Figure on Universe NAC too - but judges at the weight in pushed me back to bodybuilding and I realized I missed it a lot. You might seen probbably the fastest kicking off the high heels in history there
Now prepairing for Figure class - but in NABBA. In NABBA Figure is as big and hard as bodybuilding in IFBB and Physique is HUGE!! So the training and goal is to have huge and ripped muscles....And I hope to be able to go to Physique one day again!!

Some pictures from 2008 - last picture is Physique class winner (bodybuilding) Vivian

NEW QUOTES FOR NEW START:
"Never trade what you want the most... for what you want at the moment" John Defendis
Winner who never was defeated, can not be respected. - some old quote I heared somewhere...
Winner is not somebody who had the best conditions, but those who was not stopped by the worst; the most beautifull blossoms offten grows from the poorest ground. - old quotes from my granny

Last edited by Bronwyn : 03-30-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Muscle Mom

WOW...Interesting...i didnt know that about NABBA...Those girls r ROCKS...